A functional garbage disposal unit can help you save a lot of time and effort. However, in case of even a minor inconsistency or failure, the same unit can cause big troubles. It is wise to invest in a regular checkup for the best garbage disposal unit at your place. Also, you should take steps to maintain this unit at prime health to avoid the troublesome situations.
Here are a few tips that can help you maintain your garbage disposal unit.
Prevent the Chances of a Clog
If you don’t want to ruin your equipment, you should work within set guidelines and instructions that you get with the equipment when you first install it. You should also get a clear do’s and don’ts list from your service agency to get a clear idea of how to operate the equipment properly.
It is advisable not to put any kind of plastic or non-food articles into the equipment for disposal. You should not put any large chunks of food or bones into the machine either. Try and break down the articles for disposal into smaller pieces before putting them for disposal.
Cleaning Your Garbage Disposal Unit
Investing a small amount of time on a regular basis for cleaning the equipment is a must. You should regularly clean the equipment using the following methods:
• Put Ice Cubes Down the Drain: Ice cubes will help you sharpen the blades of the disposal unit correctly. It will also help you make sure that your equipment is ready to handle hardened food articles effectively.
• Freshen Up Using Vinegar: Pouring a small amount of vinegar along with the ice cubes for cleaning will help you get rid of the foul odors in the drain. It will also remove any pending grease and oil that can cause a clog.
• Use Cold Water for Cleaning: Always use cold water for cleaning the system.
• Use the Right Detergents: Never use a cloth washing detergent for washing the disposal unit. Instead, pour a small amount of branded dishwashing liquid down the drain to clean the system.
• Run the Equipment for Ample Time: Make sure that you run the disposal unit for a considerable amount of time after adding the garbage to it. Only then will the unit have enough time to effectively break down all the debris.
Dealing with a Clog
If you are already dealing with a garbage disposal unit clog, you need to call a technician to have a look at it for you. However, you can also use these handy tricks to clean the unit yourself first. Use the right Allen-keys and wrenches to open the unit for removal of the clog. You should unplug the machine and never use your bare hands to remove a clog yourself.
Maintaining and uplifting the efficiency of your garbage disposal unit is a small daily task that you should focus on. Always keep a dustbin at a handy place to resist the urge of dropping unwanted items into the equipment.